Tomorrow, the Turkish president will announce new steps on Syria. The day before, the Turkish military was killed again in Idlib.
Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan threatened the Syrian authorities with retribution for actions against the Turkish military, TASS reported on Tuesday, February 11. Tomorrow he intends to announce new steps on Syria.
The regime has been severely damaged in Idlib, but it is not enough. They will pay a heavy price for attacking our military. Tomorrow I will announce the steps we will take,” Erdogan said.
The Turkish president is also expected to discuss the Syrian issue with his Russian counterpart Vladimir Putin today.
According to Anadolu, the Syrian army has taken control of almost half of the Idlib de-escalation zone.
According to the map, government forces have occupied four major cities and dozens of villages in the south, southeast and east of Idlib over the past nine months. In particular, in February, the army managed to take control of the M5 route passing through the country and to occupy the town of Saraqib, which opens the way directly to Idlib.
As noted, as a result of the offensive, five of the 12 observation posts of the Turkish army in Idlib, the establishment of which is provided by the memorandum between Turkey and Russia from 2018, were blocked. Meanwhile, in recent weeks, according to independent observers, the Turks have equipped several more observation posts in the region, which are not regulated by agreements with Russia, and some of them have also been blocked. As you know, the Syrian army with the support of Russian aviation is conducting a large-scale offensive against the militias in Idlib, which are supported by Turkey. On 3 February, violent clashes broke out between Syrian and Turkish soldiers in the region, killing more than 20 people.
The previous day, five Turkish soldiers had been killed in the shelling. Ankara said it had killed 100 Assad’s army fighters in retaliatory strikes.