Experts from the World Health Organization are studying reports of refusal to use the AstraZeneca vaccine in a number of EU countries, a WHO spokesman told RIA Novosti.
“As soon as WHO has a full understanding of what happened, the organization will immediately publicly announce its findings or any changes in current recommendations,” added the agency’s source.
Earlier, the Austrian authorities decided to suspend the use of the batch of the drug AstraZeneca as a precautionary measure due to the death of the vaccinated woman and the development of thromboembolism in another vaccinated. Following this, Estonia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, and Latvia took such a step.
On March 11, the authorities in Denmark and Norway announced the suspension of the use of the AstraZeneca vaccine in the risk of blood clots. In Italy, the use of one batch was banned.
The European Medicines Agency said the benefits of using AstraZeneca outweigh the risks. As emphasized in the statement of the regulator spread the day before, there is no scientific evidence so far that the reported incidents can be associated with the vaccination. The manufacturer himself stated about the safety of the drug.
Currently, four vaccines are authorized on the EU market: Pfizer / BioNTech (purchase of up to 600 million doses), Moderna (two contracts up to 460 million doses), AstraZeneca (up to 400 million doses) and Johnson & Johnson (purchase of 400 million doses with the option of additional purchase of another 200 million ).