The United States expects a new “defeat” at the UN Security Council this month in its futile efforts to reinstate international sanctions and arms embargo on Tehran. President of the Islamic Republic of Iran Hassan Rowhani made such a statement today, September 9, at a government meeting, IRNA state news agency reported.
The Donald Trump administration will not be able to achieve its goal of renewing the UN sanctions abolished in 2015 under resolution 2231 of the UN Security Council, and this month will face another defeat, Rowhani said.
According to him, two years ago the U.S. side made a miscalculation, suggesting it could bring the Iranian people to their knees by imposing tough unilateral sanctions. With its wrong policy towards Iran, “America has disgraced itself not only on a global scale, in the UN Security Council, but even in front of its own people,” the president of IRI stated.
“They must return (to the nuclear deal with Iran. Otherwise, they face a big curse,” concluded the President of IRI.
Previously, the Russian Foreign Ministry indicated that the Joint Comprehensive Action Plan (JCAP, the multilateral agreement on Tehran’s nuclear program in 2015) and UN Security Council Resolution 2231, which constitute a single whole, contain a special procedure to restore the sanctions against Iran that were lifted by the resolution in case of gross non-compliance with the provisions of the nuclear deal. Deputy Foreign Minister Sergei Ryabkov explained that this was done “with the consent of the Iranians, who were deeply convinced that there will be no problems”. “After the U.S. withdrew from the PRSA, it completely lost any rights under that document. They have no legal or political basis, as we believe, to invoke the provisions of resolution 2231 against Iran. This is absurd,” Ryabkov said.
UN Security Council Resolution 2231, adopted on July 20, 2015, contains a mechanism for the automatic renewal of UN sanctions against Iran in case the Islamic Republic fails to fulfill its obligations under the OHRLLS (so-called snapback mechanism). This mechanism is valid for 10 years from 2015. The resolution assumes that if during this period any serious violations by Iran are detected, the country will be able to avoid sanctions only if the relevant UNSC resolution is adopted. If at least one of its permanent members speaks out against it, the sanctions will automatically resume within 30 days.
On August 14, the UN Security Council rejected a draft U.S. resolution to extend the arms embargo against Iran. The restrictions imposed on Iran will expire on October 18 this year. Only two countries – the U.S. itself and the Dominican Republic – voted for its extension. Russia and China spoke out against it. Another 11 countries of the current composition of UN Security Council, including France, Great Britain (two permanent members of the Security Council), and Germany abstained. Following the vote, U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said that the U.S. side “will continue to work” to ensure that Iran “could not freely buy and sell weapons that threaten Europe, the Middle East, and others.
Let us remind that Russia, the USA, China, Great Britain, France, Germany, and Iran signed the Joint Comprehensive Action Plan in July 2015. The Treaty provides for the lifting of sanctions against Tehran in exchange for the termination of its nuclear development. In May 2018, the U.S. unilaterally withdrew from the nuclear deal, announcing the restoration and tightening of sanctions against Tehran.