Iran’s Foreign Minister Mohammad Zarif said the Islamic Republic was close to war with the United States after the assassination of General Kasem Suleimani. This is reported by NBC.
The killing was “the beginning of the end” of the U.S. presence in the region, he said. “We were very close to war because the United States acted as an act of aggression against Iran,” the minister said.
Earlier, U.S. President Donald Trump was limited to the ability to use armed forces against Iran. The relevant resolution was supported by the U.S. Senate. Fifty-five of the 100 senators, including eight Republicans, voted for the document. According to him, military intervention in Iran will be possible only after the approval of this step by Congress. The exception is when it comes to preventing an immediate threat to the country.
On the night of January 3, the United States carried out an airstrike near Baghdad airport, killing The Iranian general of the IRGC special forces, Qasem Suleimani. The destruction order was issued personally by Trump. Mohammad Javad Zarif called the actions of the American side a manifestation of terrorism. Washington explained the strike in self-defense, as there had been several attacks on the bases of the international coalition and the American embassy.