Islamist attack in Burkina Faso: Dozens dead | TOP-NEWS
Islamist attack in Burkina Faso: Dozens dead

Islamist attack in Burkina Faso: Dozens dead

Terrorists attacked the local market, killing between 30 and 50 people. The exact number of victims is still being clarified.
In northern Burkina Faso, Islamists attacked one of the busiest local markets. This is reported by the AP on Tuesday, January 28.

This is the second attack in a week in the region. Local television says the death toll could be as high as 50. The casualty figures vary because the Islamists cut off the local telephone network before the attack.

The Norwegian Refugee Council has warned that the number of refugees in Burkina Faso could reach 900,000 by April, up from 560,000.

The U.N. says the number of extremist attacks in Burkina Faso has soared, from 80 deaths in 2016 to more than 1,800 in 2019. Local security forces are trying to contain the violence with the help of the French and American military.

Earlier in Burkina Faso, militants killed 36 civilians. President Of the country Rock Mark Christian Kabore declared January 22 and 23 national days of mourning.

ALSO READ:  Restrictions on IAEA inspection activities came into force in Iran

It was also reported that an explosion on a school bus in Burkina Faso killed 14 people and injured nine others. A bomb exploded on a bus in Suru province. Islamic groups linked to al-Qaeda and the Islamic State are suspected of involvement in the bombing.

Social Share Buttons and Icons powered by Ultimatelysocial