Moscow is at a loss after new US anti-Russian sanctions, imposed allegedly because of interference in the US election. This is stated in the commentary of the Russian Foreign Ministry.
The ministry stressed that the restrictions affected people, including “arbitrarily selected Russians,” foreign companies, air and sea vessels, which were included in one registry on some incomprehensible principle. At the same time, some people were under sanctions not for the first time, which may indicate the “end of fantasy” of the authors or that they are “confused in numerous lists,” according to the report.
The reason for the imposition of new sanctions on Russia was considered the domestic political situation in the United States. “As before, the anti-Russian attack will not go unanswered,” the ministry said, noting that the sanctions contradict the statements of the U.S. authorities about the desire to normalize relations. Earlier on September 30, the U.S. imposed new sanctions against two Russians, three Companies, yachts and three planes linked to the Internet Research Agency, the so-called troll factory that has been accused of meddling in the 2016 US election. The creation of the organization is attributed to Russian businessman Yevgeny Prigozhin. The billionaire media is also called “Putin’s chef” and the owner of the CVC Wagner.
In April, U.S. special prosecutor Robert Mueller released his report on Russian interference in the 2016 presidential election, which Donald Trump won. It says that Moscow did interfere in the American election process, but the suspicions about the Russian side’s ties to Trump could not be confirmed.
Investigators alleged that the Internet Research Agency incited protests among Americans, and Russian hackers linked to the GRU hacked into several email accounts of Democratic candidate Hillary Clinton’s campaign. A Federal Court in Washington later ruled that the “troll factory” link with the Kremlin had not been proven.