Turkish operations against militants in Idlib will not. At least not yet
March 5, 2020, at the talks in Moscow between Russian President Vladimir Putin and Turkish leader Recep Tayyip Erdogan, an agreement was reached on the ceasefire in the zone of de-escalation of Idlib in Northern Syria.
The talks were preceded by heavy fighting between the Syrian Arab Army and militants of the Syrian opposition, which Turkey directly supported by artillery and attack unmanned aerial vehicles. During the fighting in the last week of February, the rebels managed to temporarily repel government forces from the key city of Sarakibe, located at the intersection of two major highways — M4 and M5. But by early March the city was again liberated from the terrorists.
At the talks, the parties confirmed the current situation and agreed on the demilitarization of the M4, for which from six-kilometer buffer zone on both sides of the tracks must contain all groups of the Syrian opposition. At the track in its entirety should be regularly carried out joint patrols of the military police of the Russian Federation and the Turkish military. These measures are designed to ensure the opening of the route for Syrian civilians.
However, the first joint Russian-Turkish patrol was able to drive on the M4 just from the Sarakibe to the town of Ariha, where the road was blocked by the militants of the terrorist group “Hayat Tahrir Al-sham” (the organization whose activity is prohibited in the Russian Federation) that is not subject to Turkey and does not agree to open the track in his area of influence.
Ankara in the near future will not be able to carry out a major operation against the terrorists in Idlib, said the Russian war correspondent in Syria Evgeny Poddubny, March 29, in his speech on YouTube.
“Full-scale anti-terrorist operation in the shortest possible time Ankara in Idlib can not carry out,” said Poddubny. If Turkey has decided to implement the Moscow agreement, it will take more time, added the posted by.
The military component, in this case, will not be the primary, said the reporter. He stressed that it is too early to accuse Erdogan of inaction. “Pressure on Turkey now prohibitive,” explained Poddubny.
The Turkish military is to blame for the current situation. Now they have to rely only on themselves, says the posted by. “To fight the militants in the same ranks for them was much easier,” concluded Poddubny.
We will remind, on March 23, the Turkish army vowed to conduct a military operation against militants from the M4 highway in Idlib. This happened after the second unsuccessful attempt of the Russian-Turkish patrol road.