The approach of the current US “regime” is a serious threat to international peace and security

By | September 20, 2020
The approach of the current US

The approach of the current U.S. “regime” is a serious threat to international peace and security, as well as an unprecedented threat to the United Nations and the UN Security Council. This was stated in a statement issued today, September 20, by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Islamic Republic.

“The United States is lying when it talks about the return of UN Security Council sanctions against Iran. The U.S. request as a non-party to the Joint Comprehensive Action Plan (JCAP) on Iran’s nuclear program was rejected by the Security Council. The process of restoring the sanctions will not begin,” the statement said, reports the state news agency IRNA.
In addition, it is noted that the U.S. allegations against Iran are due to domestic political reasons in the U.S., as well as the international community’s unwillingness to support the initiatives of the current White House administration.

“Iran believes that the angry statements of the U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo against Tehran are steps addressed to the internal audience and are caused by weakness and despair due to the fact that the Americans constantly receive a negative response from the international community to their initiatives,” the Iranian Foreign Ministry states.
“The U.S. Secretary of State himself understands that his statements about the return of the UN Security Council sanctions against Iran are unfounded, invalid and have no legal effect. Therefore, he threatens and intimidates (other) countries with sanctions, which is the best proof that the U.S. recognizes its failure in the UN Security Council,” the document says.
The IRI Foreign Ministry believes that “the U.S. regime is the biggest threat to peace and security in the world.

“This fact has never been more evident than today, when the United States openly intimidates the world, threatens it and does not recognize the UN Security Council resolutions,” the statement said.
The U.S. had previously unilaterally declared all international sanctions against Iran that were in force prior to the conclusion of the PRTR (Iran’s multilateral nuclear program agreement of 2015) to be “re-enacted”. According to U.S. Secretary of State Pompeo, the sanctions are “in force again” from Saturday, September 19, 20.00 to Washington. According to the White House position, by this time the 30-day deadline had expired after August 19, when President Donald Trump announced plans to return all UN restrictive measures against Tehran. Thus, the mechanism to restore sanctions laid down in resolution 2231 of the UN Security Council (July 20, 2015), which approved the nuclear deal with Iran the same year.

On the eve of September 19, the countries of the European “troika” – Germany, France, and Great Britain (remain among the participants of the OHRLLS) – rejected the U.S. demands for the renewal of sanctions as having no legal basis. Pompeo, in turn, warned that the U.S. would take action against those countries participating in the nuclear deal that would refuse to comply with those sanctions. Washington promised to present exactly what measures could be taken in the “near future”.

The U.S. continues to mislead the international community, speculating about the completion in the UN Security Council some procedures to restore the UN Security Council sanctions on Iran, which were repealed after the conclusion in 2015 of the OHRLLS, said in a statement issued on September 20 by the Russian Foreign Ministry.
“Of course, Americans understand that their statements are not true. That is why anyone who disagrees with them, the U.S., as usual, threatens to be subject to sanctions and other penalties. There seems to be no other argument left in American foreign policy. The facts are that the UN Security Council has not taken any action that would lead to the renewal of the previous sanctions against Iran. Everything Washington does is nothing more than a theatrical production arranged for the sake of subordinating the Security Council to its policy of “maximum pressure” on Iran and turning this authoritative body into its own tool. The number did not go through. The U.S. is fully aware that by withdrawing from the “nuclear deal” in May 2018, renewing unilateral sanctions against Tehran, and beginning to obstruct the implementation of UN Security Council resolution 2231 by other countries, it has abandoned the international norms set forth in relevant Security Council decisions and the UN Charter. Now they are trying to make everyone wear “augmented reality glasses” marked “Made in the USA” and perceive what is happening around Iran and the OHRLLS exclusively through them. But the world is not an American computer game,” the Russian Foreign Ministry said.
The Russian Foreign Ministry called the U.S. behavior “unbridled” and putting the credibility of the UN Security Council under serious threat.

“To claim now that the sanctions resolutions against Iran have been restored is to pass off wishful thinking. We hope that our American colleagues will have the courage to finally face the truth and stop speaking on behalf of the UN Security Council. U.S. illegitimate initiatives and actions, by definition, cannot have international legal consequences for other countries and lead to obligations to limit legitimate cooperation with Iran,” the Russian Foreign Ministry concluded.
Previously, the Russian Foreign Ministry indicated that the OHRLLS and UN Security Council Resolution 2231, which constitute a single whole, contains a special order to restore the sanctions against Iran, which were lifted by the resolution in the case of gross non-compliance with the provisions of the nuclear deal. Deputy Foreign Minister Sergei Ryabkov explained that this was done “with the consent of the Iranians, who were deeply convinced that there will be no problems”. “After the U.S. withdrew from the PRSA, it completely lost any rights under that document. They have no legal or political basis, as we believe, to invoke the provisions of resolution 2231 against Iran. This is absurd,” Ryabkov said.

UN Security Council Resolution 2231 contains a mechanism for the automatic renewal of UN sanctions against Iran in case the Islamic Republic does not fulfill its obligations under the OHRLLS (the so-called snapback mechanism). This mechanism is valid for 10 years from 2015. The resolution assumes that if during this period any serious violations by Iran are detected, the country will be able to avoid sanctions only if the relevant UNSC resolution is adopted. If at least one of its permanent members speaks out against it, the sanctions will automatically resume within 30 days.

In a statement issued on January 5, 2020, by the government of President Hassan Rowhani, it was stated that the Islamic Republic of Iran would no longer comply with the restrictions imposed by the PROSA on uranium enrichment levels, the volume of uranium accumulation, and nuclear research. The Iranian capital, however, stressed that it continued to refuse the possibility of developing its own nuclear warhead while remaining bound by the 1968 Non-Proliferation Treaty. This was done after the assassination of Iranian General Kassem Suleimani by the U.S. Air Force on January 3.

Let us remind that Russia, the USA, China, Great Britain, France, Germany, and Iran signed the Joint Comprehensive Action Plan in July 2015. The Treaty envisages the lifting of sanctions against Tehran in exchange for the termination of its nuclear development. In May 2018, the United States unilaterally withdrew from the nuclear deal, announcing the restoration and tightening of sanctions against Tehran.