US Attorney General William Barr must decide on the return of the former security perimeter near the White House, which was expanded a week ago. This was announced on Monday by spokeswoman for US President Kaylee McKinani at a White House briefing.
“I don’t have any announcements about the fencing [near the White House]. The security perimeter is not controlled by the White House. [US President Donald Trump] admitted that the protests have for the most part been peaceful,” she said. The spokeswoman recalled that Trump had ordered the withdrawal of US National Guard forces from Washington due to protests. Makinani believes that the protests subsided “thanks to measures taken by the [US] administration.” Among them is the use of servicemen of the National Guard.
She explained that Barr decided last week to expand the security perimeter near the White House in connection with a fire in the nearby Church of St. John. This temple was set on fire on May 31 by rioters in the US capital. The fire was extinguished in time, but the structure was damaged.
On June 1, the American leader addressed his fellow citizens in the White House’s Rose Garden in connection with the unrest in the country. The performance itself was accompanied by the sounds of a burst of stun grenades and charges with tear gas, and shots were heard. Police in full gear at this moment cleared Lafayette Square in front of the White House from the protesters. This happened shortly before the onset of curfew at 19:00 local time. After some time, Trump left the residence, headed towards the already empty square and reached the church of St. John.
As Makinani said on Monday, the White House does not regret that law enforcement agencies had to clean Lafayette Square. However, on June 3, she stated that tear gas and rubber bullets were not used to disperse the protesters.