Ankara held successful talks with the Russian military against the background of the encirclement of Turkish posts in Idlib.
Turkish Ministry of National Defense spokesman Oljay Denizer said that all observation posts of their army in Idlib will continue to operate in accordance with the Astana agreements with Russia and Iran, despite the fact that recently President Recep Tayyip Erdogan called the agreements dead. This is reported by Anadolu.
Denise noted that there are no problems in coordinating actions with the Russian side.
Amid the offensive on Idlib, three of turkey’s 12 Air Force observation posts (9.8 and 7) in Idlib were surrounded by Assad’s forces, he said.
The Turkish army will provide a strong response to any shelling and attacks in Syria, Denier said.
The representative of the Defense Ministry recalled that supporters of Bashar al-Assad’s regime on February 3 fired artillery at the Turkish military sent to the region to ensure the safety of civilians. The Turkish Armed Forces retaliated.
Commenting on Erdogan’s statement that, if necessary, the Assad regime’s forces would be pushed back to their positions outside the Idlib de-escalation zone, Denier stressed that parts of the Turkish Armed Forces are ready to carry out all the tasks in Idlib.
Earlier it was reported that a large Turkish military convoy crossed the border with Syria and entered the province of Idlib. The convoy consisted of several dozen armored vehicles, including tanks.
Last week, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan accused Russia of ignoring existing agreements on Syria. He said his country would act independently until a new military operation was launched unless Moscow renegotiated its cooperation with the Assad regime.