U.S. announces next steps to withdraw from WHO

By | September 3, 2020
U.S. announces next steps to withdraw from WHO

Washington seeks new health partners

The U.S. State Department made a comment on the decision to withdraw from the World Health Organization.

“The United States has long been the most generous provider of medical and humanitarian assistance to people around the world. This assistance is provided with the support of U.S. taxpayers with reasonable expectations that it serves an effective purpose and reaches those who need it,” the State Department said in a statement. “Unfortunately, the World Health Organization has performed extremely poorly not only in the COVID-19 situation but also in relation to other health crises in recent decades. In addition, WHO refuses to implement much-needed reforms, starting with demonstrating its independence from the Chinese Communist Party.”

“When President Trump announced the withdrawal of the United States from this organization, he made it clear that we will seek more reliable and transparent partners,” the department said.

The State Department reminds that this decision takes effect on July 6, 2021, and the U.S. government is working to find partners who will take over the functions previously performed by WHO.

The statement describes the next steps in connection with the U.S. withdrawal from WHO and the redirection of American resources. For example, the remainder of WHO’s planned contributions for the fiscal year 2020 will be used to partially cover other contributions to UN structures.

In addition, the United States will reduce its engagement with WHO by July 2021, including the removal of the Ministry of Health and Welfare staff from WHO headquarters, regional offices, and country offices, and the appointment of these experts to other positions. U.S. participation in WHO technical meetings and activities will be determined on a case-by-case basis.