The U.S. has rejected a demand to include China in nuclear disarmament negotiations, media reported. As Mikhail Kozlov, deputy chairman of the Federation Council Committee on Defense and Security, noted on Sputnik radio, common sense should have prevailed. The United States abandoned its demand for the mandatory inclusion of China in negotiations with Russia on nuclear arms control, Axios reported, citing the US President’s special representative for arms control Marshall Billingsley.
Now the administration is focused on reaching a political agreement with Russia so that then puts pressure on China to then involve that state in negotiations and eventually to the treaty.
“There has been a shift,” Billingsley told the publication.
Axios notes that this “shift” in the United States was due in part to us leader Donald Trump’s conversations with Russian President Vladimir Putin.
Konstantin Kosachev, Chairman of the Federation Council Committee on International Affairs, welcomed the decision. In his opinion, this gives a chance to advance negotiations on nuclear weapons.
“The rejection of the previous position is welcome. It was initially unrealistic and looked no more like an excuse to drive the situation to a standstill. Now there is a chance to move forward,” Kosachev told RIA Novosti.
Mikhail Kozlov, deputy chairman of the Federation Council Committee on Defense and Security, supported this position on Sputnik radio. At the same time, he did not rule out that new demands could be put forward. I think the negotiation process will be useful. Common sense should prevail – you can declare anything and insist on any demands, but even hot heads today understand that the world is still better than conflicts of different levels. That’s why we have to move forward here. Although I think, will not do without any new requirements of the United States – they will not stop, because they can not accept the fact that the world has become multipolar, “- said Mikhail Kozlov.
The Strategic Arms Reduction Treaty (START-3) is the only existing arms-restriction treaty between Russia and the United States. It will cease to operate after February 5, 2021. Russian President Vladimir Putin has previously proposed extending the treaty for five years without preconditions. Meanwhile, the U.S. administration at various levels stressed the need to include China in the negotiations to work out a new trilateral nuclear agreement between Russia, China, and the United States. Beijing rejects this idea.
Another round of consultations between Russia and the United States on strategic stability and arms control took place in Vienna on August 17-18. The delegations were headed by Russian Deputy Foreign Minister Sergei Ryabkov and US President’s Special Representative for Arms Control Marshall Billingsley.