The U.S. State Department said on Monday that it did not intend to escalate with Iran over the situation in Iraq.
Earlier there had been rocket attacks on U.S. coalition forces, the U.S. refrained from directly blaming Iran, as the previous Donald Trump administration had done.
“We will not unleash our anger and risk escalation that plays into Iran’s hands and only contributes to their efforts to destabilize Iraq,” State Department spokesman Ned Price said at a briefing.
He confirmed that the U.S. is not yet ready to blame anyone specifically for the attack on the coalition near Erbil in Iraqi Kurdistan.
“Regarding the attack in Erbil, I would only add that we are still determining to whom specifically to attribute it, but we have said before that we would hold Iran accountable for the actions of its underlings that result in attacks on Americans,” Price said.
Three rockets fell Monday near the international airport in the city of Erbil in Iraqi Kurdistan. One person was reportedly killed and six others, including a U.S. serviceman, were wounded in the attacks.